Tuesday, November 3, 2009

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Let me introduce you to Julien. Well, a watercolor of him anyway. He's is one of my best friend's munchkins, and a favorite little person of mine. I like to hang out with him, talk to him and paint him. His little sister's not too shabby, either.

Anyhow, this has always been my favorite painting-of all the paintings I've done. It's called "Any Face You Want", and I just love it. I paint kids and animals a lot, but for some reason this one just stands out.

Wait. Have I mentioned why I paint what I paint in another post? I don't remember, so maybe you don't either.

I usually paint portraits of Respect, Resilience and Strength. So, it's not necessarily a painting of a kid, or critter. It's more an abstracted documentation of the respect that life has for life, and the resilience and strength that I believe all creatures possess to overcome the various forms of disrespect that they have or will most likely be subjected to. Just so happens I see these things in young children and animals.

Okay. Back to Ju-Ju. He has the most interesting ideas, and a very different way of thinking than most little guys. He's been through a lot of change that, like most children, was beyond his control, but he just keeps on truckin'. Quirky and awesome as usual. Personally, I think he's a genius. Though, maybe I'm partial because I've known him since he was born.

Normally, I don't know the kids or animals I paint quite as well as I know him. Maybe that's why it's my favorite?

4 comments:

  1. It's one of my favoites too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your paintings and your artist's statement.

    you're so talented i'm envious

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Ari (hee hee), you are so talented and I'm so jealous! I love your pictures and how you believe in what you paint. That's awesome. I have no talent whatsoever. You should see the pumpkins I drew, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love you people. ^_^

    Jodi- Right up there with apple pie and chocolate chip cookies, right? :P

    Ari- Thank you, Deery Lou! I'm still envious of your haystacks. You do them so much better than I.

    Curious Illusion- My Ari's. ^_^ Thanks so much. I believe anyone, with the willingness to practice until they're blue in the face, can do anything they set their mind to. Even if it doesn't come so easily.

    ReplyDelete

What Say You?!

Should I Write A Book?

Yesterday I made a Facebook post in an attempt to deal with some obsessive thoughts I was having, thoughts I have often, that drag me down. ...