Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Anonanimal

I just adore Andrew Bird, and the way he communicates. His brain makes me happy, and I like seeing things the way he sees them. I wish someone would say those things about me.

I can't tell you how many articles I've read arguing the fact that he makes no sense. First of all, art for art's sake, people! Some things are just beautiful, whether you understand them at all. I don't understand children most of the time, but their gibberish thrills me to my core. Second of all, this man makes more sense than most. He's a poet and a musician, and he does gorgeous things with the English language.

That being said, if you have any trouble figuring out what he's celebrating in "Anonanimal", I'm pretty sure I've got the lyrics right.

I see a sea anemone
The enemy
See a sea anemone
And that'll be the end of me...

While the vicious fish was caught unawares
In the tenderest of tendrils
Underneath her tender gills


And I will become this animal
Perfectly adapted to all music halls
I will become this animal
Anomalous appendages
A non-animal...

Hold on just a second
Don't tell me this one, you know
I know this one, I know this song
I know this one, I love this song
Hold on just a second
Don't tell me this one, you know
I know this one, I know this song
I know this one, I love this song
I know this one


Underneath the stalactites
The troglodytes lost their sight
Uh oh

The seemingly innocuous plecostomus
Though posthumous
They talk too much
They talk too much

See a sea anemone
The enemy
See a sea anemone
That'll be the end of me

That'll be the end of me
Vicious fish was caught unawares
In the tend'rest tendrils
Underneath her tender gills
 

And I will become this animal
Perfectly adapted to all music halls
Oh, and I will become this animal

Anomalous appendages
A non-animal...


Maybe it's just me, but I think this man is a genius. I've seen him in concert, he carries a sock monkey in a suit around with him, wears scarves, has a farm and is all kinds of adorable. If you don't like him, well, that's fine. I might beat you up, though. Just sayin'.

1 comment:

  1. love, love, love Andrew Bird. His songs make me happy. I could listen to him and Sufjan Stevens, and Alexi Murdoch and no one else for MONTHS and not get bored. Mmmm, good stuff :)

    ReplyDelete

What Say You?!

Should I Write A Book?

Yesterday I made a Facebook post in an attempt to deal with some obsessive thoughts I was having, thoughts I have often, that drag me down. ...