Friday, March 27, 2009

Worry Wart

My Mom always said my Dad was, among other more severe things, a worry wart. I used to wonder if you could actually get warts from worrying, and if so, what toads were so concerned about. When I got past that, I would worry about worrying too much.

At the ripe old age of 26, I've learned that you do not, in fact, get warts from worrying. I know this because I worry more than just about anyone I know, and I don't have the first wart. Which I am incredibly thankful for. The thought of visual consequences to worrying frightens me severely. I wouldn't consider myself to be a vain person, but I don't want to worry myself into a wrinkly wretched old woman. I worry about this.

I worry about: what I am, what I'm not, things I don't understand. You name it. I've probably worried about it. Now I'm worrying about what you'll propose I've worried about. It's a bit neurotic, really.

I love him with all my heart, but sometimes I worry that I'm too much like my father. How you can be so much like someone you barely know amazes me. Despite the lack of his presence in my life, genetics have taken their toll. I look just like him. I inherited his addictive personality. Though, my addictions are limited to: alphabetizing, art, cleaning, critters, nonalcoholic liquids(thank God), and people.

So, warts or no, I worry entirely too much.

What do you worry about? I might need to add it to my list.

6 comments:

  1. I worry too much about what people think of me. It's weird. I worry that I'm not doing enough to better myself. I worry that I'm wasting too much time. I worry that my time could be better spent bettering myself. It's a vicious cycle, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I ever with ya, buddy.

    I can have a great time hanging out with someone, but the second we're apart? I'm dissecting the entire conversation. What I should have said. What I shouldn't have. What a noob they must think I am. It's great.

    And I don't think we'll ever feel "good enough", but it keeps us trying, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worry about everthing, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I know this. I worry about everything.

    My dogs, J, the weather, work, the general state of the world. You know. Stuff like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You already know that I worry way too much - about everything....

    I'm right there with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know, I too suffer from this problem, but I'm coming to realize that God did not create me to live in constant fear of what others think and so forth...He created me to LIVE, abundantly I believe He said. This is what I try to remember when those nagging thoughts creep in.

    ReplyDelete

What Say You?!

Should I Write A Book?

Yesterday I made a Facebook post in an attempt to deal with some obsessive thoughts I was having, thoughts I have often, that drag me down. ...