Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Meat=DEAD ANIMAL

Did you know I'm a vegetarian? I can't remember if I've mentioned it before. I can't remember much of anything, to tell you the truth. Anyway. I am. It's not usually a subject of conversation, but today I have a point to make. WHY ARE PEOPLE CONFUSED AS TO WHAT A VEGETARIAN IS , and WHY DOES EVERYONE AND THEIR SCHNAUZER CLAIM TO BE ONE?!?!

I was fourteen when my mother decided that I was old enough to decide which foods I did and didn't want to consume. Dead animals were the first thing on my list. Closely followed by brussel sprouts and kale. The thought of these things always made me want to gag. I did NOT want them in my mouth.

Now, how many of you think you or someone you know is a vegetarian? How many of you or those folks you consider veggies still eat poultry and/or fish? What say you? It's okay. I'm not one of those evil vegetarians that has some disgruntled opinion of what you eat. It's your body. I don't mind what you put in it. I'm just interested in what people consider to be meat and vegetarianism.

I came across a person the other day discussing themselves being a vegetarian. THIS PERSON EATS ANIMALS. This is not the first omnivore that I've met that talked about being a vegetarian. Thinking I may be the one who was confused, I looked up a definition or two.

According to the dictionary meat is, "the edible flesh of animals"(gag).

A vegetarian is defined as, "a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc."

Alright...so meat is the flesh of an animal, and a vegetarian doesn't eat that.
Vegetarians are herbivores people. Everyone else is an omnivore. Maybe, with the exception of a couple of guys I know. I've seriously never seen them eat anything other than deer and steak.

So, now that I'm clear on the fact that I'm not the one confused here, my question is still why do folks say they're vegetarian when they're not? Why are they even telling me WHAT they eat? I don't care?!?!?

Unless you have some food allergy and are coming to eat at my humble abode-I DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT YOUR EATING HABITS.

I hate fads and I hate them more when I unwillingly take part in them. I have been a vegetarian, BY THE DEFINITION OF THE WORD, for twelve years. That is not a fad.

5 comments:

  1. Preach it, sista! I feel the same way but also about overly-picky eaters. I'm an omnivore with herbavore tendencies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol - very good!

    is vegetarianism really a fad now? interesting...
    maybe people are just trying to make themselves look good by calling themselves that.

    Not me - i became a vegetarian for 1 week, just to see... mainly because i have issues with all of the antibiotics and crap that are in the meats we eat. it was a very long week for me... but i do try to buy more organic and "crap-free" meats now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ari- That works. I've only seen you go omni once I think. Probably did in college, but I can't remember. We didn't eat a lot that I recall. More skipping class and hiking than anything, I would say.

    Kelwhy- SO many people are veggies now, but not REALLY. I think they want to be healthier, but it's easier to just pretend to be vegetarian, and talk about it all uneducated-like.

    All those growth hormones and antibiotics that come along with factory farming were something I learned about after I quit eating meat. It was a little pat on the back.

    Organic and "crap-free" is the way to go. You can SO be healthy and still eat meat.

    Kelwhy=HEALTHY OMNIVORE. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot! Thanks for letting me know that you and your blog existed. I have clearly been missing out in a big way.

    I've been a vegetarian for ten years now which seems crazy now that I actually think about it. I'm of the no-animal variety but not so far as to rule out dairy. Because, let's face it, a life without cheese is no life at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ben- Amen! I am no vegan. Now, I do drink rice milk, but cheese is a horse of an antirely different color. ^__^

    ReplyDelete

What Say You?!

Should I Write A Book?

Yesterday I made a Facebook post in an attempt to deal with some obsessive thoughts I was having, thoughts I have often, that drag me down. ...