Tuesday, July 1, 2008

WHO ASKED YOU?!

Read THIS, please.

OK. So, when I read this article I laughed. This man is apparently an expert on all the "low life" folks out there, and their various "primal" forms of self expression. Of course, that's assuming he even thinks we're capable of self expression, since we obviously lack the potential for having an i.q. above 60. I guess you should read his words of wisdom before I verbally bash him into oblivion.

"No one can deny that the heaviest concentrations of tattoos occur in the lowest segments of society -- prostitutes, pimps, pugs, prison inmates, Ku Klux Klansmen and the members of street and motorcycle gangs."

"Aware of how some of these devoted self-mutilators are going to react, I am compelled to emphasize that I do not favor any restrictions on personal behavior. If an idiot wants to get a tattoo, he or she should be free to do so. I just think responsible news media organizations should not glamorize them. What's next? Glamorizing child molesters or kluxers?"

Mad as heck yet?! First of all, no one asked him, or maybe they did, but I sure as heffalumps didn't! Second of all, is it just me, or does his argument seem to scream, "I'm a prejudiced moron!?" Doesn't sound like those of us with tattoos are considered equal in his warped mind. While he allows us "tattooed folk" our self expression, he lumps us into a category not much higher than child molesters/ku klux klan members.

My opinion of these two groups is in no means a high one. I sure as heck wouldn't want to rub elbows with any of them, but they're still people, and MR. HOLIER THAN THOU is not the judge! Besides, there are plenty of individuals with tattoos that don't fit into any of his little categories.

In case you haven't already deduced, while I am not a prostitute, Ku Klux Klan, or gang member, I have a tattoo. It's a small, colorful snail, on my right ankle. I drew it, and decided I needed it permanently scribed onto my person, when I was about seventeen. I consider myself to be a mildly intelligent twenty-six year old. I actually graduated high school with a 3.7 grade point average, attained my bachelor's degree in art/art history, hold a full-time job serving youth and families, and attend church!

I have decided that I don't like marking my skin permanently. I still like my tattoo, but I believe that God made me just perfect, and any additions are unnecessary. MR. BLOWHARD thinks a little too highly of his own opinions, if you ask me.

4 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 02, 2008

    Preach it sista! Preach it!

    I think the old windbag is just jealous that he doesn't have an awesome tattoo like the rest of us prostitutes, child molesters, and carnies....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ari- I bet his mum wouldn't allow it. Maybe he wasn't permitted to think for himself at all. Thus the current angst.

    Matt- I might just stand idly by, with my cheshire smile, and watch it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pugs? As in, the tiny little dogs with the kind of flat faces? They get tattoos? Because that was in his list, and I'm moderately confused by that. However, I like my tattoos. I got them for me, not for anyone else and that dude is entitled to his opinions, though I resent being compared to KKKers and the like. I don't see why he cares, as it's not his body that's getting permanently marked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he was referring to The Order of the Pug, a para-Masonic society(kinda creepy), but I can't be sure. It's the only thing that seems to make any sense, though.

    ReplyDelete

What Say You?!

Should I Write A Book?

Yesterday I made a Facebook post in an attempt to deal with some obsessive thoughts I was having, thoughts I have often, that drag me down. ...