Thursday, November 13, 2008

What Day Is It?

Why do people put Christmas stuff out before Thanksgiving?!?! I mean, I love Christmas as much as the next person, but why ruin it? Why do I have to be subjected to holly jolly Christmas tunes before I darn well choose?!

I'm convinced that it's a marketing strategy. Someone in some marketing department somewhere really think we're that impressionable. Well, believe me you buddy. I am not that malleable, and I don't care how many times I have to listen to "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas," I will not get into the holiday spirit until after Thanksgiving! And I will not do it by shopping!

I've made my dorky/noble little pledge to hand make more gifts this year. I'm knitting, painting and crafting like a madwoman. Sure, I'll still buy some Christmas gifts, but it will not be on the biggest shopping day of the year. Nor will it be due to having been pumped full of freaking Christmas cheer for two whole months! You're sneaky little plan failed Mr. Advert Man. Nice try, though.

Now, the city putting lights up is fine. I like twinkle lights at night. It's all magical and whatnot. But the next schmuck I see stringing their house with lights before the day after Thanksgiving is gonna get it from all 5'4" of me. Right in the kisser.

4 comments:

  1. My girlfriend is dying to put up Christmas stuff. Like, two weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are white lights all around my deck. I like to think it's for my birthday party, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy- Christmas stuff at home is pretty cozy, and that's different. ^__^

    Gnomespeak- HaPpY BiRtHdAy!! And twinkle lights can be a year round thing, if done tastefully-like around a deck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! We should form a coalition to Take Back Thanksgiving! Its a holiday too! And it's being treated just like Jan Brady - and its not always about Marsha! er...Christmas in this case!

    Via la Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

What Say You?!

Should I Write A Book?

Yesterday I made a Facebook post in an attempt to deal with some obsessive thoughts I was having, thoughts I have often, that drag me down. ...