Monday, June 28, 2010

Newfangled Contraptions

 
Do y'all know the legend of Paul Bunyan? Well, I had no idea, but today is Paul Bunyan Day!

I realize it may seem a bit odd to be excited about an American Folktale, but I can't help myself. I grew up with this story, and it's part of who I am. Did y'all ever watch the Disney cartoon? Well, you simply must! Even if you've seen it, watch it again.


Part 1
 
Part 2 


The things I read and watched as a child made such a huge impact on who I've become. It's amazing what we absorb, and how we weave it into ourselves, isn't it? Why, after watching this again, I realize that this Disney telling of Paul Bunyan & Babe is where I first heard of the Aurora Borealis, and probably why I've always wanted to see it.

It's things like this that remind me why I want to write and illustrate kids' books. I want desperately to help kids use their imaginations, to think, dream, learn how to express themselves creatively and just be happy. 

What stories have helped shape who you are?

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE that cartoon! (We almost named Elwood Babe, and he may be Babe for Halloween, heehee)
    Oh, and Im so sorry! I missed telling you happy Birthday. HECTIC weekend :(
    I hope you ahd a great and wonderful and splendiferous Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elwood would've made a wonderful Babe, but then I couldn't mess up and call him Ed Wood. :P Can't wait to see him at Halloween!

    It's okay. If it weren't for Facebook (and I don't always check that everyday), I wouldn't remember to tell anyone happy birthday. My brain will only hold so much.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could go on and on and on about things from my childhood that helped shape who I've become. Hence the whole Memory Monday feature I used to do. There's not a day that goes by that I don't reminisce on a childhood memory. It keeps me young, I think! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this cartoon; I hadn't seen it in years!! They don't make them like this anymore.

    ReplyDelete

What Say You?!

Should I Write A Book?

Yesterday I made a Facebook post in an attempt to deal with some obsessive thoughts I was having, thoughts I have often, that drag me down. ...