Tuesday, September 8, 2009

"I Disagree With You So Everything You Ever Say Must Be Wrong" Is Not A Good Rule To Live By

Over at Just A Titch today I read about how some people are reacting to President Obama's education speech. You should all go read that speech, btw. Open that link in another tab, folks. If you haven't already, you should really read it.

Having read this message, I am inspired. I find absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's full of truth and positive reinforcement, and I am glad the youth of our country heard it today.

I'm having a really difficult time comprehending how someone could believe that it's an attempt to "brainwash" or "indoctrinate" our country's children into anything other than believing in, and applying themselves to, getting their educations and succeeding in making the world they live in a better place.

So, what's the deal here?! Bashing this man for no apparent reason is not okay!

The only sense I can make of it is that they're scared. People are afraid of a lot of things, for a lot of different reasons, right? So, let's say they're afraid for themselves, their children and country. They're afraid of the unknown. I can understand all that. I'm a worry wart. I totally get the anxiety.

One man leading an entire country is something to be concerned about. We can't read his mind, or see the true desires of his heart. It's stressful, but what's really to fear here is that people have still not learned to harness their ignorance, set their differences aside, and respect and love one another.

If an individual doesn’t care for President Obama’s plans as the leader of our country, that’s one thing. Worry. Talk about it. Fine. But ignorantly (Because OBVIOUSLY they can’t have read his words, right?!) claiming that he’s going to “brainwash” our children with an encouraging, well-written speech about education?! Whatever.

I know I sound like a scripture, or a Bob Marley song, (and I'm fine with either) but love and respect is the answer here, folks! I know it's my belief, and not necessarily shared by all, but I have to say it.

We are all created equal, even if we don't always agree.

I don't normally talk politics. People get angry and opinionated, and I always sound naive and silly with my love and understanding for your fellow man talk, but I had to vent.

To be completely honest, I disagree with a lot of things that President Obama believes in and advocates for. I didn't even vote for him, but he is the President of our country. I have the utmost respect and love for him, and I refuse to be separated or blinded by difference of opinion. The man can make great things happen. This speech is one of them.

2 comments:

  1. Amen. My friend Maxie told me- and was horrified by the fact that entire counties in her state of WV refused to show the speech yesterday. Even if you don't agree with the man, he is our PRESIDENT. Show him at least that much respect, and then raise your kids the way you want to, ya know? If you really like one speech from someone can "brainwash" your snot nosed brats, you're probably not doing such a great job, anyway.

    /rant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LiLu- I totally agree. If the 5-17 years of brainwashing that these parents have been working on gets hoodwinked by one speech? Yeah.

    ReplyDelete

What Say You?!

Should I Write A Book?

Yesterday I made a Facebook post in an attempt to deal with some obsessive thoughts I was having, thoughts I have often, that drag me down. ...