Friday, February 3, 2012

Commission!

Have I mentioned how much I love commissions? Not just because they mean I'm getting paid to do what I love, but because they're like getting assignments. I never thought I'd say I miss getting a lesson plan, but things can get a little stagnant if you're the only one dictating what you do. Maybe it's just me. 

Even if I'm working with the same medium a lot, it's nice to get photos of a subject that I haven't spent much time looking at before. Without the help of commissions, I'd be painting my animals all the time. I love them and all, but I've already painted them. Not that I couldn't make a challenge out of that, but whatever; I'm rambling.

These are a couple of sweethearts that I painted for a mother to give her two daughters for Christmas. Her grand-cat and grand-dog, Murphy and Hugo. 

I'm not sure if I've blogged about my reaction to getting a commission before. It's very Fiddler on the Roof. If you haven't seen that gloriousness, you simply must. It's only the most wonderful musical of all time. Anyhow, I break into my own little version of "Tradition." Commissiooooooon! Commissioooon! Commission!

I'll stop being weird via blog now.

4 comments:

  1. These paintings are gorgeous Heather! You're definitely one of the most talented people I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet talk; my favorite. :) Thank you, Barry.

      Delete
  2. Commissions have the opposite effect on me (not that I've had many! But a couple.) I procrastinate and stress out over them because I have this idea they must be perfect. Which is a silly standard, for one thing. Also, if you get a commission they've obviously seen your work and know what you're capable of. So, maybe I shouldn't stress so much. ;)

    Love the paintings! Lately I've been on a bit of a dog kick myself. Not quite so realistic, though. Great stuff in your etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I understand that aspect, too. I think I've just gotten used to trusting my watercolor style a bit more, so those commissions don't intimidate me as much. I painted about 30 for my college exit show, not counting commissions since then. O.o Making polymer clay cake toppers and illustrations is another story. I'm always afraid that people have something completely different in mind, and I'll fail miserably. So far so good, though. Thankfully, people are more confident in us than we are at times. :)

      Thank you for the kind words. I'm quite fond of your pups and llamas. I love your lines, and color palette.

      Delete

What Say You?!

Should I Write A Book?

Yesterday I made a Facebook post in an attempt to deal with some obsessive thoughts I was having, thoughts I have often, that drag me down. ...